Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Concert Review

Brett Dennen w/ Dawes
Orange Peel in Asheville, NC on May 15, 2011

Overview
                I first heard of Brett Dennen just after the release of his self-titled debut album. Brett Dennen was touring alongside Tristan Prettyman  and I stumbled upon his tracks through Prettyman’s mention of the essentially unheard indie artist. At the time, I was not completely sold on the laid-back folk-rock style, but Dennen’s smooth vocals, catchy melodies and deep lyrics had captivated my spirit. With the first album release, I wasn’t sure if Dennen was a fluke or not, but something led me to think that I just may be hearing more from this guy in the future and time would only tell.
                Dennen’s sophomore project So Much More was the album that gained exposure and gave Brett a wider fanbase. His songs were featured on television shows, such as: Grey’s Anatomy, House and Scrubs. The album was more diverse in style from his self-titled release and Dennen had developed lyrics that had caught the ears of hipsters all over the US.
                With the release of Hope for the Hopeless in 2008, Dennen’s style seemed to remain stagnant in the same vein as So Much More. This was not a bad thing at all, because the fans had received what seemed almost like a continuation or a part 2 of the album that had reeled them in. “Make You Crazy” gained Dennen further mainstream exposure and “Heaven” became a defining anthem for the fans.
                The growing fanbase, increased exposure, and limitless mainstream opportunities that the first three albums had brought about had me wondering if Dennen would “sell out” to the media. Dennen had toured with Jack Johnson, Mat Kearney and John Mayer all of which unfortunately “sold-out” at some point throughout their careers. We are lucky that Brett Dennen has remained true to himself and that he has refused to conform to the mainstream and “water-down” his message. It has become apparent that Dennen doesn’t thrive off money, fame or the acceptance of others. Rather, Dennen loves the arts and strives for happiness and sharing his story with others.  The non-conformity that Dennen displays is what the fans love, and if Dennen were to “sell-out,” the fans would move on.
                Earlier this year, Loverboy was released by Dualtone Music Group. Overall, the album was a bit funkier and more light-hearted than prior releases. Stylistically, Loverboy seems like a 70’s album that had been misplaced, but like any great artist, album progression is a must. The album is the most up-beat to date, with hints of rock, pop, funk, reggae, folk, blues, etc. While this album is fun and catchy, I hope new fans take a listen to prior releases to get the whole “Dennen experience.”


The Concert
                My wife and I were front row center and multiple times throughout the show I could have reached out and touched Dennen’s proudly displayed bare feet (not that I would want to). Yes, we were that close. Anyway, I did not know what to expect from the show, but by the start of the concert the Orange Peel of Asheville, NC was quite packed.
                Honestly, I was not enthusiastic about the opening band Dawes while we waited. I had previewed their first album on-line and I was not impressed. Somehow, Dawes had managed to get positive reviews in concert, so I was in hopes that they would sound better live. I must admit, I was more impressed with Dawes than any opening artist I had ever seen in the past and more impressed than even some headliners. I was enthralled with the lyrics of Dawes so much that I couldn’t “get into the show.” I am looking forward to the release of their second album. I was shocked at how much Dawes resembled a young Springsteen, with a tinge of Wilco here or there.
                One Dawes lyric from the song “When My Time Comes” that stood out in my mind was “If heaven was all that was promised to me / why don’t I pray for death?” Another song titled “A Little Bit of Everything” and the Springsteen sounding “Fire Away” are definitely worth a listen from their forth coming album.
                By the time Dennen stepped on stage, you could feel energy radiating off the crowd. I have never seen an artist with such a receptive audience. Brett couldn’t smile or move without the fans going wild. The relationship between the fans and Brett goes much deeper than the lyrics or even the music. Brett is simply an amazing person that strives for peace, love and happiness above all else. The singer doesn’t care what others think about him. The lanky tall redheaded singer wears thrift store clothes and coke bottle glasses while dancing around shoeless.
                From the opening tune to the final encore song, the show was a celebration of all things life. Brett came out and began with a tune from his latest album titled “Dancing at a Funeral,” which discusses celebrating someone’s life rather than mourning their death. The final tune of the show was a single called “Blessed,” in which Dennen sings “Blessed is this life and I’m gonna celebrate being alive.” Even in song sequence, Dennen displayed brilliance and the beauty of music as an art.
                The audience was able to enjoy nearly every song off Loverboy and a nice mix of tunes from the prior three albums. Though I am not sure of the correct sequence, the setlist included:
                                Dancing at a Funeral
                                Make You Fall in Love with Me
She’s Mine
                                San Francisco
                                Comeback Kid (That’s My Dog)
                                Can’t Stop Thinking About You
Closer To You
                                Surprise, Surprise
                                Sydney (I’ll Come Running)
                                Must Be Losing My Mind
                                Darlin’ Do Not Fear
                                Song For Leaving
                                The One Who Loves You The Most
                                Little Cosmic Girl
                                Make You Crazy

                                ENCORE
                                Heaven
                                Ain’t No Reason
                                Queen of the Westside
                                Blessed
               
                Do not get me wrong, up until the encore the show was filled with great songs, but Dennen performing “Heaven” and “Ain’t No Reason” solo was most epic. To hear a mostly younger crowd singing “Heaven” in unison along with Brett was an amazing experience. To know that so many people get the message and relate to such a powerful song gives hope of a better world. I would say that it was like being amidst a praise and worship concert, but the message was Quite the polar opposite.
                At the start of the quirky song “Queen of the Westside,” Dennen announced his charity promotions with The Mosiac Project and Reverb. The night was completed with “Blessed,” which gave the audience on last chance to dance and celebrate life.
                I love that every fan knows every lyric to every song. The Orange Peel of Asheville is a great venue for an artist like Brett Dennen. Brett Dennen is perhaps the most humble and caring artist in today’s music scene. We have been given a hidden gem with Brett Dennen, so do not pass on a chance to enjoy the “Dennen experience.”

No comments:

Post a Comment