Monday, June 20, 2011

Frozen

Frozen by Adam Kincaid

Ice crystal sky; Smoke vapor breath
Frozen deep inside; Slow steady step
An empty sky high; Right above my head
Broken morning dawn; An internal death
The sun did not rise; With each step I climbed
My feet want to slip; Tossing pebbles from the cliff
As the wind cuts my lip; In a slow steady kiss
Hands hiding deep inside; In my pocket frozen fists

As I near the summit; A fire is just steps away
But as I stumble closer; The burning flame dissipates
Harsh is the mind; The illusion it creates
Captivating eye focus; On unobtainable fate
Destiny’s call echoes; Through the canyon below
Granting a false hope; Seducing to my soul
In the end it has destroyed me; Within it I placed my trust
Soon became my downfall; What once would lift me up
The battle of the mind; Became the fatal cut
Lying on the ground; Dying trying to get up

The Breakdown
This was written a few months after Collision in the Sky and my main goal was to expound on the idea of how religion lifts you up and tears you down in a cycle. The first half of the poem describes the journey of an individual that has recently given up his faith (empty sky high). The characters journey isn’t easy, but he is a fighter (frozen fists) and he is proving that religion isn’t needed to fight through hard times. He feels like giving up (my feet want to slip) but he remains courageous and continues on.
The second portion shows how the character begins forming ideas in his mind that something exists that can save him, something that seems so real, but isn’t even there. The character is being fooled by illusions of his mind and this false reality ultimately destroys him.

No comments:

Post a Comment